Saturday, January 31, 2009

Just a regular day in the neighborhood

Not much to report other than that today i recieved a free ride to town from a very nice man with a pig in his toyota. Some might call this hitchhiking but in Tanzania we call it getting a "lifti". Its common practice and really no more safe or dangerous that public tranport around here. He saw me waiting for a bus at the side of the paved road and pulled over. I gladly accepted the free ride and only after about 15 minutes of small talk did i feel something kick the back of my seat. I looked back and it was a pig. Of course it was. He explained that there were two more in the trunk and he was taking them to town to sell. I was kind of relieved actually to find that there was a pig in the car because my first impression was that this nice tanzanian inexlicably smelled like poop. But alas it was the pig- and me- that smelled like poop after a 45 minute ride of not breathing through my nose. oh tanzania, you're full of all sorts of surprises!

1 comment:

dbug said...

The old pig in the backseat trick, eh?
Would the pig fit in the Corolla?
dbug