Monday, November 9, 2009

Fukuza?

So i'm still truckin along here working on a few projects. I've got my homebased care worker training coming up in the next few weeks to train village members to be the first line of care for people living with HIV. I'm also helping my mama's basket group learn a new craft, Batik. And good news on the well construction: we should be getting an official survey very soon!

I've run into a few bumps in the road recently, my village executive officer, my direct village supervisor, was "fukuza"ed out of town. It took me a while to figure out what that word means... turns out it means "banished" or "chased out".... oh. apparently he stole some roofing, i don't know. it didn't go well. so there was that and also a village member stole about $200 from my house... so its been a little rough.

Anyhow, here are some pics. overall things are good. and i'm good!



babysitting on testing day





my friend dada peter's new baby rabi





walter and me in all my braided glory





a nutrition poster i made for the secondary school





getting tested on testing day



my village: this is why i need to raise money to drill a well... its a tad dry



2 comments:

Brittany W said...

Hello from Ukraine! I am sorry for the bumps in the road! You maintain the positive attitude--you are amazing! Keep up the good work! I love getting your updates!

dbug said...

Bumps in the road... I would say...
Guess the BIRs - both literally and figuratively - are part of that African experience you were looking for... right... right... o never mind. Just be sure you KNOW we're damn proud of you.
Hang in there.

"Fakuza?" Hmmm... reminds me of the old Johnny Carson gag about the Fukowi Indian Tribe.