Wednesday, December 10, 2008

10 things i've learned in africa

Tomorrow marks my having been here for 6 months. These are the ten most valuable things i've learned since i've been here
10. Swahili (obviously)
9. How to haggle...if you thought i was fiesty before, you should see me now
8. the right drugs to treat HIV opportunistic infections with ...since they have me play doctor here
7. make compost
6. cook
5. to like the smell of charcoal
4. light a kerosene lamp
3. not barf when someone slaughters a chicken in front of me
2. wash my hair with regular bar soap
1. pick insect egg sacks out of my foot

but mostly (i couldn't number it) is how much i miss my family and friends and how much i miss you all. its especially hard right now during the holidays.
also to answer some questions i've gotten about donations: there are about 20 kids that need sponsorship. if you can't completley sponsor a kid, give what you can, don't worry about it. also marebear asked if you can forward the message to people that don't know me. YESSS! as long as they feel comfortable with the deal, then i'm comfortable. i'll send emails, letters, phone calls to whomever wants them. just send me the info. thanks everyone for all your support, seriously. i feel it and it means a lot.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

You are most totally welcome! And you know, we miss you a lot too. And I've never been called Marebear...I like it..*MUAH!*

Unknown said...

I cannot believe you have been gone 6 months! I can't wait to visit you...It's rough not being able to text you when I think of some ridiculous UCLA memory or see a certain few people around wearing or doing something equally ridiculous (use your imagination). Hope you get my letter/surprise soon!

dbug said...

Kim,
Ask me about the ten things I've learned about raising Kim.

Talk later.

Dad