Thursday, October 30, 2008





























i should start by apologizing for my last post. slightly dramatic one might say. but the computer was the only thing i had to entertain myself with for five days. it made me a little crazy. i'm better now. for the most part. still some headaches and dizziness but i'm told thats just post malaria stuff.
so here are some new pictures of my life. the first is of my brand new ginormous bed. but its my firt piece of furniture. the bed i was sleeping on before was borrowed from another villager. i was able to return that and now i have my own! then there is a picuture of walter. he's getting really big. but as he gets older he becomes a better cuddler. this works for me. especially in my new huge bed. the picture also includes my hoe. that i actually use to garden and tend my compost pile. be impressed. then there is a picture of me and walter before we set off on a biking adventure to take him to the vet two hours away to get a rabies shot. he lasted in the basket for about 2 minutes. the next pic is of Iniki, my best tanzanian friend (yes she's 13... so what?) and walter. her smile is really that big. the next picture is of a drawing i made on my court yard walls. if you can't tell its a turtle with the words "pole pole, kidogo kidogo, ndio mwendo." this roughly translates into slow and stead wins the race. i put this up to remind the villagers that my work with them will be slow but we will get there. they forget sometimes that i am only one person and can't do everything today. then there is a pic of me actually working with my hoe and turning my compost pile. yes i have a compost pile that is actually turning into workable compost. its a miracle. the next picture is my very first (however handwritten) public health poster to put up in the health center that promotes good nutrition and speaks of its benefits. it took a long time and i'm proud of it regardless of juveline it may look. people like colors right?
anyhow i'm in the city for two days for a water saftey and sanitation training. as you can imagine it enthralling. but its good and absolutley necessary. everything else is good. getting healthier so don't worry. i'll make it just fine. i miss everyone and i love hearing from you in posts or letters. keep sending them. it does get lonely here and i'm always interested in knowing whats going on in everyone's life.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

So glad to hear you're doing better! I was a little worried for awhile. And yay for big beds!!! And cuddling with Walter.

Trina said...

aaahhhh *sigh* Glad that your post was lest dramatic than the last. Sounds like you're doing good. One question, what are you going to do with your compost pile? Do you turn it into soil that you can grow things in? Or it just keeps on composting...?
Glad you got your bed! It looks comfortable.
Everything's good here..nothing exciting to report.
peace,
t
WEAR SHOES!!!!!!

Sarah M said...

Kimmy, we miss you! Looks like Walter is growing fast, much like Coach and Bailey. I am sure that you are making a significant impact there in your village. I am glad to see you are a responsible pet owner, though I would expect nothing less. Jenny and I are thinking package soon. We are noodling on it while she makes Snickerdoodles. What can you use there?

Unknown said...

MAJOR relief that you are back and feeling better. I love the pictures...keep them coming:) You're bed looks amazing, and I love that blanket. Walter the Wonder Dog does remind me of Prec with the deep stare-thing going on. Nothing too new here, except the upcoming Africa trip we are planning:) I LOVE YOU!