Monday, October 20, 2008

Lalalalala. i'm sick.

so i'm on the floor of my courtyard tears washing clean canyons of dust on my face, writhing in the fetal position with pain, one hand holding walter for comfort the other holding the phone to my ear as a plead with peace corps to send a car to my site to pick me up. i don't feel good. i really don't feel good. this isn't like in third grade when i "wouldn't feel good" every tuesday when dad was off work and we had to do multiplication tables.

i was finally able to succesfully communicate this and within an hour a white land cruiser appears in front of my house with Salome, our saftey and security officer, floating out drapped in white like angel. seriously, i'm not making this up. she scooped me up and took me to Iringa, the nearest biggish city with a peace corps approved hospital. turns out i have malaria. that sucks. two days later i go back, malaria is gone but i have giardia which is an intestinal parasite that gives you diarreah and REALLY bad gas pains. two days later i still don't feel better. Peace corps says come to Dar es Salaam, the capital where their medical staff is. we're gonna figure this out. an eight hour bus ride later i arrive in Dar. Tired and sick. oh, peace corps medical staff says, we're not at the office we can't see you until tomorrow. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh. the next morning: probably a kidney infection, i've been peeing brown (i know you want all these details). fine. but kim, you'll have to come back on monday so we can do the blood tests to make sure its not something else. monday? what i am supposed to do here for the next two and half days. nothing. which is exactly what i've been doing. watching movies, sleeping, thats pretty much it. this morning i came back, monday, thank God. i get blood tests, medication for a kidney infection and told to wait two more days here until all the tests come back. what the eff am i supposed to do here for yet another two more days. Dar can be a really fun city if you're with friends and feel good. but it sucks when you're alone and feel like crap. i'm in the second category. so this post is me whinning. i wanna feel better but i want to go back to my village. i've got stuff to do there and i miss my friends there. and mostly i miss walter. he needs me.

5 comments:

Marianne said...

KIM!!! NOOOOO!!! Get better soon, I'm worried!!! I love you!!! *MUAH!* (ps..I totally know that the kiss does not make you feel better, but it's the thought that counts right?) Praying for a speedy recovery!

jenny k said...

Kim,
I am so sad you are sick and missing Walter. =( Hope you are feeling better and on the mend soon. Miss you! Love you!

Unknown said...

Hi Kim,

So sorry to hear you are sick, hope you feel better soon!!!!! Love you and miss you!

Ps, I'm officially in love with Wlater, cutest dog ever. And I am totally unbiased. Much love!

Unknown said...

oh, weird...apparently my name came up as egbla, this blogging thing is way too high tech. but it's laurel in case you were wondering...love you! feel better...stat.

audvass said...

kimbo- hope you are feeling better and are reunited with walter now!! looking forward to another update that you're back to your healthy state!